“Because friends don’t let friends wear bad outfits.”
In this article, I’m going to talk about tips and tricks for dressing up nicely every day. These tips will also help you in looking taller and slimmer than you actually are and hence, giving your body a proper shape.
I travel in the metro almost every day for around two hours and I know a lot of people find it exhausting which it is, but what keeps me occupied is noticing everyone’s outfits. Yes! And that’s something a lot of girls do. I’ve always been that girl in my circle who points out the fashion disaster when she sees one (but I also compliment those who look lovely 😛 ). I see girls wearing low waist jeans and ill fitted clothes and I see how their outfits are ruined because of simple mistakes. I know not everyone is into “dressing up” but I hope these fashion tips help the ones who are because I believe that if you have curves, you should flaunt them and be proud of yourself no matter what size you are. Even if you aren’t the way you want to be, you’re all you’ve got. So, instead of feeling bad about your body, physical appearances and your flaws, I say admire them and admire them all! Dress up, look good and feel good.
Mentioned below are few fashion tips that can help you look better while dressing up:
- Do not wear low waist bottoms. Low waist bottoms make you look short and healthier than you are. Go for mid-waist & high-waist bottoms.
- Wearing flared jeans (high or mid waist) makes you look taller than you actually are.
- Wear layers while styling your clothes and avoid looking heavy.
- Wear maxis and make sure to keep them mid or high waist. Just like flared jeans, you’re raising the waist line to a higher high, ultimately looking taller and slimmer than you are.
- Always wear properly fitted clothes. Either one of your bottom wear or your top should be properly fitted to your body (and that doesn’t mean wearing only tight clothes but the ones that hug your body and you feel comfortable in.
- If you are short, never go for over-sized bags. They make you look shorter. Try opting for bags that are proportionate to your body/size.
- While wearing full sleeve blazers, fold them up with the sleeves of the top to give it a better look.
- Try not to go for broad belts. They cover the most portion of your waist and make you look broader.
- Try wearing V-neck tops that will show off more of your neck line. A great tip for those who have a round face shape and short neck.
- If you’re plus-size, go for apparels that have vertical lines rather than horizontal.
- Wearing heels give a better shape to your legs and make you look slimmer than you are.
- If you have a short neck, never go for heavy neck accessories but the simple elegant ones.
- Give an impression of an elongated body by making high pony tails and top knot buns and showing off your neck.
- Wear high waist mini skirts. They’ll show more of your legs and make you look taller as well.
- To give the impression of longer legs, another tip to follow is to wear footwear that match the color of your bottom wear. Like nude sandals with mini skirts (same skin color), black boots with black jeans, etc.
- Adding just few accessories to your outfit can make you look more fashionable. Go for elegant pendants, chokers, watches, hand cuffs, anklets and so on.
- You can lengthen your torso by wearing a long fitted tank top underneath a cropped sweater. Also, while wearing a buttoned up shirt underneath a sweater, wear a tank top to make sure your shirt stays in its place and doesn’t make you look bulky.
- Dress according to your body shape. Find out whether it’s triangular, hour-glass, inverted triangular or any other and look up tips for dressing according to it.
- When someone notices you, they check out these two things first: They footwear you’re wearing and your watch. So, make sure you invest in these two to make a great first impression.
- Before taking your jeans to the tailor, wash it twice to get the right alterations because it shrinks after washing twice.
Here’s an example of how I used few of the above tricks to create a simple and very basic outfit.
In this outfit, I went for a small backpack that is proportionate to my body, high waist jeans with no belt, properly fitted crop top and few accessories like choker, silver bohemian rings and ear stud. I have made high knot bun in few pictures and kept my hair untied in few other to show you the difference.
Photography by Eliza Anjum
- White crop top (Forever 21)
- High waist jeans (Levis)
- White shoes (Amazon.in)
- Black thick velvet choker (My collection on Spoyl: Sale sale sale)
- Silver Bohemian rings (My collection on Spoyl: Sale sale sale)
- Watch (Timex)
- Ear cuff (Spoyl)
- Studded Backpack (Bought for Rs 500 from Karol Bagh, Delhi)
I hope you found the above mentioned 20 tips helpful. Don’t forget to share the article with your girl-friends and remember, don’t wear anything you feel uncomfortable in. If you feel uncomfortable, you look uncomfortable.
Thank you for reading!
With lots of love,